A Plumber lays out, tests and maintains pipes, fixtures, metal roofing, fittings, gas meters and regulators.

How do you become a plumber in Australia

To become a plumber you usually have to complete an apprenticeship and gain a Certificate III in Plumbing.

Licensing requirements in South Australia

In South Australia under the Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995 all individuals, partnerships and companies are required to hold a licence to perform plumbing work.  A Plumbing Workers Registration is issued by Consumer and Business Services (CBS).

Recognition of qualifications and skills obtained outside Australia

Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR)

New migrants that have an OTSR which shows that you have been assessed as having the required technical skills in Certificate III in Plumbing can apply for a restricted workers registration to work under direct supervision.

The OTSR lists the technical skills demonstrated in the practical assessment undertaken by the individual and outlines the gap in the persons skills or knowledge that is required to be filled in order to work in Australia.

In South Australia, Consumer and Business Services (CBS) will issue a provisional (restricted) licence against the OTSR to allow you to work while the Australia Minimal Context Gap Training (AMCG) is being undertaken.

On successful completion of the AMCG and supervised employment, an Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) qualification is issued by the registered training organisation.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

Some people have skills and knowledge that enable them to gain a qualification without completing a standard training program or course.  These skills and knowledge – that would have otherwise been developed through undertaking an accredited course – may have been gained through some other form of study, formal training, self-tuition, work experience or life experience.

It may be necessary to undertake a process of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

Requirements for self-employment or to be a contractor

If you intend to operate a business as an individual or in a partnership you will need to hold a Plumber and Gas Fitter’s Contractors Licence and meet all licensing requirements. 

For information about this level of licensing email: Consumer and Business Services (CBS).

Benefits of Trade Recognition

Trade recognition will allow you to:

  • obtain a Licence to work unsupervised in your trade
  • get recognition for further study
  • be qualified to train apprentices
  • secure skilled employment using qualifications and skills gained overseas

Useful links:

Consumer and Business Services (CBS)

Level 3, Chesser House
91-97 Grenfell Street Adelaide, SA 5000

phone: 131 882
website: Consumer and Business Services

Plumbing Industry Association South Australia (PIASA)

1 South Road
Thebarton SA 5031

phone: 8292 4000
website: www.piasa.com.au