In order to receive an income, open a bank account or apply for tax rebates in Australia you'll need a tax file number (TFN).  To apply for a TFN and learn more about tax rates, rebates and returns visit the Australian Taxation Office website:

Australian Taxation Office
13 2865

To open a bank account you'll need to show proof of identity which may include your passport and other documents.  Individual banks and credit unions can tell you about what kind of documents are accepted.

Nation-wide banks

Commonwealth Bank
13 2221
13 2032
ANZ Bank
13 3333
National Australia Bank
13 2265
AMP Banking
13 3030

South Australian banks:

Adelaide Bank
13 2220
Bank SA
13 1376

Credit unions (non-profit financial organisations)

Community CPS Australia
13 2585
Credit Union SA
8202 7777
People’s Choice
13 1182

For household or business electricity and gas connections:

13 12 45
Origin Energy
13 2461
Simply Energy
1800 009 147

To report a gas leak:

Gas Emergency service
1800 808 526 (24 hours)

For water connection:

SA Water
1300 650 950

Telephone and internet connection:

13 2200
133 937

Dial 000 in an emergency (police, ambulance or fire) or 112 from a mobile phone

For non-emergency police attendance
13 1444

For medical emergencies:

Royal Adelaide Hospital
8222 4000
Women’s and Children’s Hospital
8161 7000
Flinders Medical Centre
8204 5511
Poisons Information Centre

13 1126

For domestic violence and mental health emergencies:

Crisis Care
13 1611 (after hours and weekend emergencies)
Yarrow Place Rape and Sexual Assault Service

1800 817 421 (free call)
Kids’ Helpline
1800 55 1800 (free call)
13 1114 (24 hours)
Mental Health Triage (24 hour crisis service)
13 1465

Interpreting services are available through TIS National for people who do not speak English and for those English speakers who need to communicate with them:

TIS National
13 1450
Legal Services Commission advisory service
1300 366 424 

The Royal Automobile Association of South Australia is a member organisation which provides roadside assistance and other services such as vehicle inspections.  It is recommended that you join if you plan to buy a car and drive.

RAA Roadside Service
13 1111
RAA Vehicle Inspection
8202 4688

For public transport information:

Adelaide Metro
1300 311 108
Bus SA (country services)

For a full list of local governments and their activities and services:

Local Government Association of South Australia
8224 2000

To enrol to vote:

Australian Electoral Commission
13 2326

For questions about renting a property or disputes relating to rental property:

Residential Tenancies Tribunal
13 1882

For information about fair work practices or to make a complaint:

Fair Work Ombudsman
131 394

For information about safe work practices or workplace injuries:

Safe Work SA
1300 365 225 or
1800 777 209 for emergencies

Other services

The State Government directory lists all services and information covering everything from houses, law and transport (including drivers licences and car registration), taxes, schools and health:

Service SA